Monday, June 11, 2012

How much can you squish in a 40 foot container?

The first of ten wood crates that will fill our 40 foot container. 

Crates 4-8 are full!
The last of the items to fit in crate #10.
We knew that moving back to the states was going to be an interesting process.  We had no idea how difficult the process was going to be until day #4 of packing out when the moving company informed us that we were not going to fit in our forty foot container.  You should have seen my face when John relayed the message to me.  I seriously think I might have shot fire out of my eyes.  There was no way we should not have been able to fit.  After ranting and raving for five minutes John and I finally came to the conclusion we had only one option and that was to repack.
Poor John had to relay the message to the moving company.  I think they were really surprised that John and I were not willing to pay the overage and would have been totally fine with them pulling out all 212 boxes and repacking each of them.  The moving company did not think that re-packing sounded like the best option because they magically made it fit after re-packing just five boxes.   John and I were both relieved to see the end of packing out. 
We have no idea how long it will take for our stuff to arrive in Stanwood.  I am guessing 6 to 12 weeks.   It will be fun to see all our stuff back in our house. 

2 comments:

Gina said...

Funny... No more money from you, AND they were able to make it all fit. Hmmm....

Sheri said...

Yeah, funny the way that worked out with the movers. Glad I checked in before I deleted the blog link. Nice to see you are going to continue it now that you are home. Welcome back!