Friday, December 2, 2011

PYP Christmas Party Prep

The balls arrived on Friday afternoon right on time for youth group. It worked out perfect thanks to some Divine intervention. The balls were a wild selection. They were obviously samples but in the long run a blessing because it will make it so much easier for the kids to identify their balls.

The youth group was a huge help. The boys helped John pump up all the balls. It was a big job. Each of the balls came with a plastic mesh type bag that had to be unwrapped then carefully put on each ball. The challenge was that the bags kept tangling. It was not an easy job.

The girls started baking snicker doodles. We made three double batches. That is a lot of snicker doodles. I lost track at 72. Thank goodness my good friend Justine was there to help. I still have about four-dozen cookies left to bake. My house smells amazing but it is torture having hot snicker doodles come out of your oven and not being able to eat them. We did taste a few for quality control purposes.

The kids drank hot cocoa and ate way too much sugar. Joanie, one of the Moms sent the best popcorn. It was way better than caramel corn. I am going to have to get the recipe. It was yummy goodness! She also sent cookies, which I never tried because I kept eating the popcorn. I am sure they were amazing too. While the kids were dipping cookies in hot chocolate they stuffed 150 bags with candy.

We did let the kids have some fun! They played a game where they had to melt ice as quickly as possible using only their body. Brr! Next week I’ll finish the last of the preparation for the party. On Saturday, John and a few of the other men from our church will deliver the balls and food to the party. I hope they can snap a few quick pictures. Unfortunately, it isn’t safe for the kids to go. Having so many expats would draw way too much attention. Safety is one of those things we always think about.

I am really proud of the kids for working so hard on this party. I can’t wait to hear how it goes. Thank you so much for all your prayers.

Baking Snicker Doodles! Yummy!
Taking all the plastic bags off the balls
Our crazy mix of balls
Which way do these bags go?
Stuffing Candy Bags
Brooklyn helping out.
FYI...I did not pick out her outfit!
Ready to be delivered!
Pekanbaru Youth Project Elves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! I love seeing youth get involved & doing good works :)

Gina said...

What a fun time blessing someone else.