Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas Miracle Update

One of the things I have learned living in Indonesian is that getting upset when things don’t go exactly as I plan is a big fat waste of time. I have to say that living in Pekanbaru has definitely increased my ability to go with the flow. No matter how crazy or backwards things appear to me I have learned to just go with it. It is a survival skill here. It is funny how God often uses these moments to teach me lessons about His provisions and His plan.

Well, today we were told the shipment has been delayed yet again. This time for a shipyard strike. I feel terrible for the Davis family that continues to wait for their stuff. We still feel very blessed they let us put stuff in their container and at some point it has to arrive, right?

Well, that leaves us in a pickle doesn’t it? The Christmas gifts for all the kids are in that container. It is hard for me understand why God would go to such extreme measures to delay this shipment. I have to admit we had a little chat via prayer today. It sounded something like this:

ME: Umm, God! Can you explain this one to me? I don’t understand why you would not want these kids to get their gifts? We have been praying for this for a long time. A lot of people have been praying about this. I have everything ready to go.

God’s Response: Did you ever think this was not the gift I wanted these kids to get? I have something better in mind. Something they will love. “Soccer Balls!”

Me: But God they need school supplies not soccer balls. Where am I going to get a 125 soccer balls? I only have eight days.

God: Why should My children only get things they need? They need to feel My love. You give them the supplies and I will give them soccer balls.

Me: I get it Lord, but where and how?

God: I will show you.

So within an hour my assistant Ida had helped me track down a wholesaler who would sell me soccer balls at a discounted price. He was even willing to help me with a deal to cut the shipping charges.

Kids in Indonesia are crazy for soccer. They play it everywhere. The beauty of soccer is you only need a ball. I have seen kids use pieces of garbage or wood to make the goals. Having their own ball would be something these kids would never think possible.

I have been a Christian for a long time. I know without a doubt that Jesus died on the cross for my sins and it is only by His grace that I am saved. But sometimes, God feels far away and so big that I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Today, I can honestly say that I had a close up in your face encounter that reminded me of His love for all of us. Not the love of some untouchable being, but that of a father. One who cared if his children received soccer balls or school supplies. I know to some of you this sounds crazy. So if I have offended you I am sorry but this touched me so deeply I had to share it with you.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I hope this doesn't post twice since I thought I had done it once before but it didn't show up. At any rate, I wanted to say that though I am not a Christian I found nothing in your post to be offensive. I think most of us who are parents can relate to that feeling of wanting our children to have a little something at Christmas that is for their pure enjoyment rather than just a need, no matter how dire our circumstances. At any rate, it isn't Christmas yet, is it, even in Indonesia. So here's a wish for happy soccer-ing or whatever else the season brings. Thanks again for sharing with us.

Gina said...

I have often reminded myself that Abba is crazy in love with us. Why wouldn't our loving Daddy want to spoil His kids a little. Even when it seems extravagant and we don't understand.
What an awesome testimony.