Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bread of Life

One of the toughest things for me living abroad is finding food my entire family enjoys. John and Brooklyn are by far the two most adventurous eaters in the Getzinger Family. Brooklyn has been in Hog Heaven since moving back to Asia. She can't get enough of the local cuisine. I on the other hand, not so much. I don't mind trying new things but I am not wanting to seek adventure at every meal.

So before leaving for Vietnam I did a little research on places to eat. The idea of eating authentic Vietnamese every meal was a bit much for me. Thanks to TripAdvisor, I found a gem of a restaurant called the Bread of Life. Bread of Life was like no restaurant I have ever been too. What made it so unique is all the servers and cooks are deaf. The restaurant was started by a couple name Bob and Kathleen Huff. The proceeds from the business go back into their deaf ministry. Who wouldn't like supporting a wonderful cause by eating delicious food?

We managed to eat at this restaurant six out of the seven days we were Vietnam. We all became very attached to one of the deaf servers. His name is Bihn. Bihn was our waiter on the first night. He noticed that we were Christian because he saw us praying before dinner. He signed to us that he was a Christian too. My first year teaching I had a deaf student in my class so I can sign some which came in handy. Bihn spent a lot of time chatting with us and teaching us new signs.

I have to admit the last day at the restaurant was tough. We all knew this would probably be the last time we would see one another. I will never forget what Bihn signed to me. He told me not to be sad. He said he would see me again. Next time it would be in heaven. He is absolutely right. This wasn't goodbye it was see you later. What a glorious day that will be; when all of us from every corner of the earth bow down at His feet. Thanks for the perspective, Bihn.



Staff at Bread of Life

Yummy Food

Enjoying dinner with great friends


Bihn





1 comment:

Sue said...

That is so awesome about the deaf people. I would love a resturant like that. I hear you on the food and adventures. I am not as adventurous as others.