Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rats!


One thing I have learned about teaching in Indonesia is that it often requires a lot of flexibility. You do a lot of improvising. As part of the kindergarten curriculum we cook on Fridays. I love it and the kids do too. Today was our first cooking day. I was excited to cook "Kissing Hand" cookies. They fit perfectly with a book we are reading class call the "The Kissing Hand" by A. Penn. As I have said many times before I am planner. I found this great cookie cutter this summer in Seattle.
I was feeling quite prepared. I even had the dough chilled and ready to go. After I had all five kids in their matching aprons we began to prepare the cookies. They were absolutely adorable with their tiny rolling pins. It dawned me that I had not preheated the oven so I quickly did that. The oven was warming when I began to smell a strange odor wafting from the oven. My assistant Ida looked and me with a confused look. She obviously smelled the same strange odor. I decided to investigate so I opened the oven door. To my horror I saw clumps of fur. I quickly closed the door. When I started the oven I had inadvertently cooked nesting jungle rats in my oven, and just so you know they do not smell like "chicken".



3 comments:

Gina said...

blech.

Sheri said...

Ah, poor Kathi...cookies next week?

McJason's said...

Barf!....I just threw up a little. You are a brave woman, Kathi. Jungle livin' doesn't sound like my cup of tea.